Tuesday 2 June 2015

MONOLOGUE: THE MEDIA



Hello, my name is Maru and I’m going to talk about the media. In my opinion this is an interesting topic because “the media” plays an important role in our everyday life.  In fact, “the media” is a way of communication that reaches and influences to a large number of people. I’ll focus my monologue on three points which are advantages, disadvantages and types of media I use the most.

The main advantage of the media is that it can be used to inform about what is happening around the word. Nowadays we have several options of getting this kind of information. We can read a printed newspaper, read an online tabloid, watch the news on television, read a timeline on Facebook, etc. Thanks to the technology, the media is available for everybody at anytime.

Other important function is the entertainment. Actually, I think it is the most used function of the media. Newspaper and magazines, radio, television and online mediums are ways to entertain people and an alternative to be unaware of our own reality. However, this advantage could also become into a disadvantage if we spend too much time inactive like for example watching television because this sedentary lifestyle could affect in a negative way our health.

The last advantage I’d like to say is that it can be used to educate. For example the e-learning is very popular nowadays because it doesn’t require the physical on-site presence and allow people to study courses from any place in the world. The ways of getting education through the media are by watching documentaries, interviews, YouTube videos, serials, etc.

Regarding to the disadvantages, one of them can be the manipulation. People can be manipulated through the news, advertisement or TV programmes in order to influence their way of thinking. Other disadvantage could be the waste of time especially when we’re watching the television. This time could be used to other creative things like reading, painting, cooking or even to practise some sports outdoor.

Finally I’m going to talk about the media I use the most. I'm used to reading news on the internet because this is the media I use the most. I like having different point of view of the news and with the Internet I can read several newspapers without buying them. So, this is a cheaper and faster way of being informed of what is happening in the world. You can also search on the net whatever topic you want and with the social networking sites, you can be always in contact with friends and relatives who live abroad.

Anyway, that’s all I have to say about this topic. I hope I wasn’t too boring and thank you very much for listening to me.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. homepage

    ReplyDelete